What is food countermarketing?
Food countermarketing is defined as activities that that decrease the consumption of unhealthy food and beverages. Food countermarketing activities go against or oppose the marketing of unhealthy products.
Unlike traditional health education, which often tells you what not to do, food countermarketing urges the public not to be deceived by junk food marketers who relentlessly market unhealthful products.
Where can I find research on countermarketing?
Below is a list of research that supports countermarketing. We will add to the list as new research becomes available:
- Berkely Media Studies Group. Annotated Bibliography on Targeted Marketing. March 2015.
- Berkeley Media Studies Group. Health Equity & Junk Food Marketing: Talking About Targeting Kids of Color. 2017.
- J.L. Harris, C. Shenan, R. Gross. Food Advertising Targeted to Hispanic and Black Youth: Contributing to Health Disparities. Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity, August 2015.
- N. Freudenberg, C. Palmedo, E. Murphy, and S. Garza: Policy Brief: Countermarketing Unhealthy Food: Lessons from Tobacco
- P.C. Palmedo, L. Dorfman, S. Garza, E. Murphy, N. Freudenberg: Countermarketing Alcohol and Unhealthy Food: An Effective Strategy for Preventing Noncommunicable Diseases? Lessons from Tobacco
- S. Lucan, A. Maroko, O. Sanon, C. Schechter. Unhealthful Food-and-Beverage Advertising in Subway Stations: Targeted Marketing, Vulnerable Groups, Dietary Intake, and Poor Health. Journal of Urban Health. 94(2): 220-232
- C. Germond, A. Ramirez, K.J. Gallion. Regulation of Food and Beverage Marketing to Latino Youths. Salud America!, August 2013.
What are some organizations that are doing countermarketing work?
- Bronx Health Reach
- Center for Science in the Public Interest
- CUNY Urban Food Policy Institute
- Food Active
- Howard County Unsweetened
- NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- Public Health Advocates
- Youth Speaks
If your organization does countermarketing work and would like to be added to the list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a Big Food Company?
Big Food Companies are multinational food and beverage companies with huge and concentrated market power. They are also the primary producers of ultra-processed foods high in fat, salt, and sugar.
How can I launch a countermarketing initiative?
Please check the "Educational and Teaching Resources" section for information on how you can launch a countermarketing intiative.
What are some resources that be used to teach about countermarketing?
We have free teaching resources available on our website. You can access theme here.
Are there any teaching resources available for countermarketing?
Teaching resources can be found on the Countermarketing Teaching Resources page.
Why are youth the main target of your countermarketing initiatives?
Youth are the main targets of our countermarketing initiatives because junk foods are marketed to them the most - especially African-American and Latino youth. With out countermarketing initiatives, we aim to raise awareness among youth, and give them a voice to fight back against predatory junk food marketing.